test

Welcome to the CHNetwork Online Community Forums Other Topics Best Follow-Up Read to Rome Sweet Home?

5 replies, 5 voices Last updated by  jsdebeer 5 months, 2 weeks ago
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Mumford3125
    Participant
    @Mumford3125

A fellow student gave me a copy of Rome Sweet Home during the Christmas season of 2015. After reading it, I thought to myself, “Don’t agree with his final decision, but I’ll have to read more on these issues . . . “.

I suppose I could read that copy of Ratzinger’s Introduction to Christianity that has been sitting on my bookshelf for quite sometime; however, given its density and my desire to graduate this quarter, are there any particular books/authors I should turn to for a positive presentation and defense of Catholic doctrines?

Cheers.

Jennie1964
    @Jennie1964

You know, I found the best defense of Catholic doctrine for me was the Catechism itself. It is beautifully written, and you can start with the Compendium which is the Q&A version, or even the YouCat which was a Q&A version written for youth and is beautifully done if you find that easier. I am not sure how easily you read theology. I would flip between the Q&A and the full Catechism depending upon the topic. If I found I needed a little more help, I would grab some of the articles from the Catholic Answers site to help clarify things. If I was still confused (or terrified which happened more often that I would have liked), I would come in hear and ask for an explanation. Somebody would usually come along and quell my fears.  For me at least, going to the source of Catholic doctrine is what convinced me!

conorthecelt
    Participant
    @conorthecelt

My father gave me a copy of “Rome sweet home” when I was considering leaving the Catholic Church 8 years ago. He thought it might sway me into staying but i think I had probably already made up my mind into going and I didn’t think much of it.I know that a lot of Catholics think much of Scott Hahn and maybe as im now considering Romes claims maybe i should read it again with a more open mind?!

Mumford3125
    Participant
    @Mumford3125

@conorthecelt Yes, considering it made me (a Bapticostal-turned-Lutheran) consider Rome’s claims more seriously.

seekingtruth
    Participant
    @seekingtruth

I really loved ” Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic” that one was an eye opener to me!

jsdebeer
    Participant
    @JSdeBeer

I second Jennie’s suggestion of reading the Catechism or the Compendium of the Catechism.  You may also consider reading the Catechism of the Council of Trent (also called the Roman Catechism).  Since the Council of Trent was convened specifically to address the ideas and concerns raised by the Protestants, and since the documents were prepared to help priests to teach the Faith, the Roman Catechism has clear and detailed explanations of many doctrines that today separate Protestants from Catholic Christianity.  What is more, it is positively saturated with references to Scripture, and it’s actually quite an easy read even if the current English translations are a little old.

I have heard a lot of good things about Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic and intend to read it myself at some point.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active