7 months ago #22780
Jim AndersonKeymaster@Jim Anderson
Chief Financial Officer: Diocese of Steubenville
Provides both operational and programmatic support to the Diocese. The CFO supervises the finance unit and is the chief financial spokesperson for the Diocese. They report directly to the Executive Assistant to the Bishop and receive direction from the Finance Council and directly assists the Executive Assistant to the Bishop on all strategic and tactical matters as they relate to budget management, cost benefit analysis, forecasting needs and the securing of new funding.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in performing all tasks necessary to achieve the Diocese’s mission and help execute staff succession and growth plans.
- Train the Finance staff and other staff on raising awareness and knowledge of financial management matters.
- Work with the Executive Assistant to the Bishop on the strategic vision including fostering and cultivating relationships, as well as assisting in the development and negotiation of contracts.
- Participate in developing new programs, specifically: assist the Executive Assistant to the Bishop and the Director of Stewardship and Development in identifying new funding opportunities, the drafting of prospective programmatic budgets, and determining cost effectiveness of prospective service delivery.
- Ensure adequate controls are installed and that substantiating documentation is approved and available such that all purchases may pass independent and governmental audits.
- Provide the Finance Council with an operating budget. Work with the Department Directors to ensure programmatic success through cost analysis support, and compliance with all contractual and programmatic requirements. This includes: 1) interpreting legislative and programmatic rules and regulations to ensure compliance with all federal, state, local and contractual guidelines, 2) ensuring that all government regulations and requirements are disseminated to appropriate personnel, and 3) monitoring compliance.
- Prepare and oversee the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities for the Diocese including: organizational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports, reports to funding agencies, development and monitoring of organizational and contract/grant budgets.
- Oversee all purchasing and payroll activity for staff and participants.
- Develop and maintain systems of internal controls to safeguard financial assets of the Diocese and oversee federal awards and programs. Oversee the coordination and activities of independent auditors ensuring all audit issues are resolved, and all 403(b) compliance issues are met, and the preparation of the annual financial statements is in accordance with U.S. GAAP and federal, state and other required supplementary schedules and information.
- Participates on committees and special projects as assigned; including being the lead staff on the Audit/Finance Committee.
- Monitor banking activities of the organization.
- Ensure adequate cash flow to meet the organization’s needs.
- Oversee Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable and ensure a disaster recovery plan is in place.
- Oversee the maintenance of the inventory of all fixed assets, assuring all are in accordance with federal regulations.
- Analyze business operations, trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations, to project future revenues and expenses or to provide advice.
- Establish and maintain tables of accounts, and assign entries to proper accounts.
- Survey operations to ascertain accounting needs and to recommend, develop, and maintain solutions to business and financial problems.
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year end closing process.
- Establish and monitor the implementation and maintenance of accounting control procedures.
- Resolve accounting discrepancies and irregularities.
- Suggest ways to reduce costs, enhance revenues, and improve efficiency.
- Explain billing invoices and accounting policy to staff, Diocesan intuitions, schools, and vendors.
- Review and recommend modifications to the accounting system and procedures.
Skills and Competencies:
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Statement of Financial Accounting Standards (SFAS).
- Excellent planning, organizational, problem-solving and judgement skills.
- Ability to strategically think and identify, analysis, and solve problems.
- Strong communication skills.
- Knowledge of auditing practices and principles.
- Aptitude for numbers and quantitative skills.
- Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality.
- Foster and cultivate business opportunities and partnerships.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field.
- Hands on experience with QuickBooks accounting software.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in the management of financial systems and budgets, financial reporting, financial data analysis, auditing, taxation and providing financial advice.
- Experience with non-profit accounting preferred.
- Proven supervisory skills.
- Must understand, support and embrace the mission of The Diocese of Steubenville.
- Willingness to travel throughout the 13 county area.
- May require occasional evening and weekend hours.
Work Place Factors:
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, communicate, reach and manipulate objects, tools or controls. The position requires mobility. Minimum physical exertion. Duties involve moving materials weighing up to 5 pounds on a regular basis and may infrequently require moving materials weighing up to 25 pounds. Manual dexterity and coordination are required less than 50% of the work period while operating equipment such as computer keyboard, calculator, and standard office equipment. Usual office working conditions. The noise level in the work area is typical of most office environments.
Reports to: Executive Assistant to the Bishop
FLSA Status: Full-time (Exempt)
Hours: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm some evenings & weekends
This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list. Additional duties, expectations and responsibilities may be added or changed as needed to meet the Diocese’s growing needs.
Send resume and cover letter to [email protected]
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.