test

Welcome to the CHNetwork Online Community Forums Fellowship Hall help! confession question….

11 replies, 5 voices Last updated by  zaida 7 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

zaida
    Participant
    @zaida

UGH! Just came from confession. A beautiful experience, as always…I focused on the Priests words about confession giving us peace….

However – in the car home – I realized I just cant remember him saying the words of absolution….I remember everything else – I thanked him for seeing me because I was “just” on time (if not slightly late)…..I remember confessing my sins…I remember penance and my act of contrition…but the absolution is a total BLANK….and Im worrying he forgot!!!! he might not have – it might all be me – but its on my mind….seriously it is just blank….

Any suggestions??? Do I need to go back?

Thanks and blessings!!!!!!!!!!!

David W. Emery
    Keymaster
    @David W. Emery

Given that Absolution is the primary goal of every penitent in the confessional, it’s not likely he forgot to pronounce it. I would therefore proceed on the assumption that you are the one who forgot. Your attention was probably elsewhere.

David

dedrict
    Participant
    @DedricT

You aren’t the only one who has walked out of confession wondering the same thing.  I have as well.  I think we are so focused on remembering what we intend to confess, and to say during the act of contrition, that we forget what the priest said during absolution.  Also, some priests say it so quickly that it is hard to follow;  then there was the priest that absolved me in Spanish (I don’t speak Spanish unfortunately).  Either way, don’t worry.  I now make it a point to focus on his prayer of absolution, though I still rarely remember hearing the words “I absolve you”.

I sometimes wonder if there is another reason we easily forget those words….  I can recall many other things the priests have said in various confessions, but rarely those words.

zaida
    Participant
    @zaida

David – Thank you!!!!! I think you are right, it was far more likely me who forgot – not him! On the very off chance that he did – am I forgiven?

Detrikt – It IS interesting that those are the words we sometimes don’t hear! I can literally remember my whole confession, act of contrition and the beautiful words the Priest said about peace, and also about “isn’t it wonderful that the Lord – knowing we are feeble – has given us this sacrament” (paraphrased)…Maybe it is as David said – I was thinking about other things, mabne these other words of the Priest…or – maybe – he said the absolution while I was saying my act of contrition? I have read that happens.

Thanks for the feedback!

David W. Emery
    Keymaster
    @David W. Emery

On the very off chance that he did [forget] – am I forgiven?

Yes, the Church supplies in this unlikely scenario.

or – maybe – he said the absolution while I was saying my act of contrition?

Priests often do this.

David

zaida
    Participant
    @zaida

Thank you David…I wonder if Im bordering on scrupulous….in Mass today I went back and froth about taking communion (because of being worried I wasn’t absolved) Then I realized the Mass I was at had the wine and wafer….and I went up for both….then I panicked I did it unworthily…all because I so seldom get both wafer and wine and I really wanted it…

I said to the Priest after Mass that I was worried about not being absolved – and he absolved me on the spot! He said many older priests say the words quietly, or during act of contrition, and I wasn’t to worry – to make me feel better he said the words of absolution…then I asked him “but was it ok I went up for communion” and he said “its fine”.

I need to let this go now, right? 🙂

David W. Emery
    Keymaster
    @David W. Emery

Yes. Just let it go.

David

zaida
    Participant
    @zaida

Thanks David!!!!!!! I’m letting it go! 🙂

And I’m going to try and live in the middle-ground  – somewhere between scruples, and being too lax with myself….I tend to go to extremes….good thing to focus on for the rest of Lent…

Blessings everyone –

jeremy777
    Participant
    @Jeremy777

I’m borderline scrupulous myself, dear sister.  I’m glad you got things resolved ?

zaida
    Participant
    @zaida

Hi Jeremy –

Heres one for all of us –

Just heard Mother Angelica say (something like) “Its kind of an insult to God – ever thinking that our sins are bigger than His mercy….”

Good for us to remember when the scruples start acting up!

Blessings!

3graces
    Participant
    @3graces

To Zada and all of us – I just got back from confession a few hours ago, I do remember the priest saying ” I absolve you…” and I also remember his advice to me, which was, whether we are obsessing about how great we are or how awful we are, we are still focusing on ourselves, the goal is to shift that focus to God and His Mercy. Quite a needed kick in the pants for me…. and my tendency to be hard on myself and hyper critical of myself and others.

Which might mean I’m scrupulous! Eep!

zaida
    Participant
    @zaida

Thanks for that input 3graces….wonderful advice from your Priest…yes…lets all move the focus off of self and onto Him who loves us infinitely….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active