test
3 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Jennie1964 Jennie1964 3 months, 2 weeks ago
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Marziee
    marziee
    Participant
    @marziee

I apologize if this has already been covered. I need advice on how and when I should let people in my life know that I will be coming into full communion with the Holy Catholic Church. There are some real anti-Catholic people that I love and respect greatly. I am not coming in this Easter, but I am now attending Mass regularly and have a sponsor. The priest is wonderful and very helpful. I have received a valid baptism but my pastor of several years ago who preformed it has said,

” I am so sorry and sad to hear that you want to abandon the truth that you have been taught all these years in order to embrace such false teaching. Although I respect your right to do that, I cannot support nor endorse it. That was not the faith you were baptized into. Probably best to be baptized in your new faith.”

He obviously does not understand what I was really baptized into. Hopefully I can obtain proof without him. I respect his convictions because he really thinks he is right, but he is wrong. And I can only imagine what it will be like when others hear of my conversion or when I tell them. I am not one to keep something like this secret. That is just not who I am. It took me many years to come here and I feel like I have found a pearl of great price. I have no intentions of throwing it in anyone’s face, but I am not ashamed or sorry in any way either. And I want people to see an even deeper love and devotion for Christ in me when I come into the Church as a testimony to what true Catholicism really is. I want to live it and I don’t want to argue about it, especially with someone who can not entertain the possibility that they may be wrong about this wonderful Church.

So what do I do?

May God Bless you all.

Profile photo of Jennie1964
    Jennie1964
    Keymaster
    @Jennie1964

Marziee, we all have to face that question and the answer is as individual as the person asking the question. Some I told earlier. Some I told later. Some I have never told and probably won’t unless I bump into them and the question comes up. Some were supportive of me. Some utterly rejected me and said I was a heretic. Some were terribly confused but we are still family or friends, and that’s okay. Just ask God to let you know when the time is right for each one, and don’t worry about their reactions. This is your journey and you are sure of where you are going, so that is all that matters for now. If they are belligerent, and not willing to listen, don’t argue! That will be all the advice I give you. If they are concerned and worried, answer them as best you can, and if you don’t know the answer let them know you will get back to them.

As for the baptism, if the pastor in question really refuses to cooperate and give you a letter or certificate with the date and method of baptism on it, no worries. (Perhaps you could get around him initially by asking the secretary first? She should know where the records are kept). Your priest will make the decision as to whether you need a conditional baptism or not. Leave it with him.

Profile photo of Marziee
    marziee
    Participant
    @marziee

Thank you so much for the advice and support. Just minutes ago my mom found my original baptism certificate in the family Bible so that hurdle is passed. Neither of us had remembered me receiving one at the time, nearly 20 years ago. I am thankful for my priest who is a kind, gentle man, and patient. And I am thankful for this website!!!! Blessings.

Profile photo of Jennie1964
    Jennie1964
    Keymaster
    @Jennie1964

Marziee, so you found that old baptism certificate you didn’t know you had?  Hmm…methinks that perhaps St. Anthony is on your side in this one!  God is working on your behalf clearly, so just trust in his guidance and leading. All will be well in the end!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active