test

CHNetwork Online Community Forums Mary, Saints, and Angels Mediatrix and Co-Redemptrix

5 replies, 5 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Howard Hampson Howard Hampson 2 months, 1 week ago
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Timotheus53
    timotheus53
    Participant
    @Timotheus53

I understand that as I continue to learn about the Catholic faith, I am seeing things through Protestant/Evangelical colored glasses.  I feel I have successfully “jumped” many hurdles when it comes to accepting teaching that goes against my Protestant background.  But I find the teaching of Mary as “Mediatrix of all graces” and “Co-Redemptrix” just a  little too much for me to get past.  Would anyone like to share thoughts on this subject?  The constant repeating of the sentence “We assure you we are not putting Mary on the same level as the Son of God”, begins to ring hollow after a while.  I need much convincing.

Profile photo of David W. Emery
    David W. Emery
    Keymaster
    @David W. Emery

Timotheus53, I’m going to leave you with a couple of links. Anything further will have to wait until Saturday, because the website is scheduled to be down tomorrow and Friday for upgrading. We can discuss on Saturday whether the articles linked were helpful, and we can take the discussion from there. I do understand that Mary is probably the biggest stumbling block Protestants face as they investigate the Catholic faith. It was the same way for me, after all.

Link 1: Catholics United for the Faith

Link 2: EWTN Library

David

Profile photo of cosbap
    cosbap
    Participant
    @cosbap

I find these titles challenging too for the same reasons. But I also have difficulty with them for another reason that might sound silly – I don’t think Mary would like them!

She always points people to Jesus. She doesn’t demand attention and praise and honour, she does’t want people to look to her except as a guide to her son. Given that she is the human exemplar of humility and obedience, wouldn’t all these grand titles be uncomfortable for her? Also they are easily misunderstood (at least to protestants) as giving her a status equal with Jesus, and I can’t help thinking that would be distressing to her.

Has anyone else had these thoughts?

Profile photo of Jeremy McKinney
    jeremy777
    Participant
    @Jeremy777

I understand the co-redemptrix thing.  I still grapple with the “mediator of all graces” thing.

Profile photo of David W. Emery
    David W. Emery
    Keymaster
    @David W. Emery

It’s all made out of the same cloth, Jeremy. Just as our Redemption comes FROM Christ THROUGH Mary (and all the other saints), so do the graces we receive. It’s a function of the Mystical Body of Christ.

David

Profile photo of Howard Hampson
    Howard Hampson
    Keymaster
    @Howard the Pilgrim

All the graces I have received and am receiving have come through Jesus Christ and His Body, the Church.  The Body of Christ has not been decapitated and Jesus is not a head without a body.  You can’t have one without the other.  It is a package deal, contrary to popular opinion.  And my redemption is not solitary either.  The whole Body of Christ, the Head and all the other members, are accomplishing it, with my cooperation, of course.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active