22 replies, 13 voices Last updated by  David W. Emery 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Howard Hampson
    @Howard the Pilgrim

Different Christian groups each have their own dialect of Christian terminology.  Within a short period of time, I can often tell a person’s theological tradition by the terms and expressions they use.  They may even use the same word but mean something very different by it.

Howard Hampson
    @Howard the Pilgrim

Here is a link to a forum thread on it. Link.

I can offer only what I have come to know and believe about Mary from my own study this past year. This past year I started my journey back to the CC and in the beginning of that journey I wasn’t sure if I could get past the issue I was having about Mary. I had been led to believe many false ideas about Mary from my 11 years in a non-denominational church. The Bible talks about what faith is, it’s being sure of the things we hope for and knowing something is real even if we don’t physically see it. I started praying for the eyes to see. It was when I researched what the rosary was and the Biblical history that I started seeing her truly as our blessed mother. She wasn’t just a humble servant, she was chosen from the beginning to be the mother of God.

The resources I used to study her life was the Catechism of the Catholic Church and a book titled This Is Our Faith by MichaelPennock. I also researched different sites on Google. I really don’t see  that the gap between what Protestants believe about Mary and what Catholics believe will ever come closer on the subject of Mary unless God would allow it to happen.  That’s how I view it from my experience.

I cannot find where to start a new topic so will add this here (and wonder if anyone will ever find it lol)

This is something that bothers me:

she is our life and hope because, without her, we would not have her Son, the Christ, through whom comes our hope of eternal life. On a third level, she is our advocate before the divine Judge, who is her Son, and in this sense, it is she who obtains for us both hope and life by appealing to him on our behalf.

Jesus always ‘was’. He is the Great I AM

i keep reading catholics saying that we need to be grateful to Mary because.. without her ‘ no Jesus’!

As if God would have been left without a plan if she had not agreed. . or as if He didnt already know that she would agree. Nevertheless, Jesus did not come into existence on christmas day..He always was.Yes he was born as human but I feel sure the Father would have had a plan B if necessary.

Anyway, as someone recently leaving Protestantism and living here in no man’s land trying to work thru my ‘Mary issues’, that is something that bothers me .. seems as if they are saying if not for Mary we would have no salvation!

David W. Emery
    @David W. Emery

Jesus always ‘was’. He is the Great I AM – Seeking

This is true. It is also true that “the Word became flesh and dwelt among us” (John 1:14). We cannot forget the Incarnation. Without that momentous entry into his own creation, God would not be able to take the name Jesus Christ, for it was in the act of the Incarnation that he became a man, visible in human history, and able to redeem mankind by his self-sacrifice.

As if God would have been left without a plan if she had not agreed. . or as if He didn’t already know that she would agree. Nevertheless, Jesus did not come into existence on christmas day.

God’s plans never fail. He is the almighty, he can do whatever he desires. He chose the manner of his entry into creation, the manner in which he would redeem mankind, and he accomplished it, according to his eternal plan, through a woman, so that just as it was through a woman (Eve, who gave the fruit to Adam, Genesis 3:6) that mankind fell from grace, so also it was through a woman (Mary, who fulfilled the promise of Genesis 3:15) that mankind was raised up to glory. This was done so that what Paul writes in Romans 5:12–15 might come about. It is all one plan; at both ends, both the man and the woman have a part in it.

God knows everything — past, present and future — because he lives in eternity, where time does not exist. He knows what he is doing, and it will all work the first time. No need for a Plan B.

It is true that Jesus did not come into existence on Christmas day. Rather, he came into existence when he was conceived in the womb of Mary (Luke 1:38), and he came into the world on Christmas day (Luke 2:7). The shepherds saw him (Luke 2:16), and in the course of time, the world saw him.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not recently active