test

CHNetwork Online Community Forums Scripture Rapture, Tribulation, all That Fun Stuff…

7 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Angelique_Roche Angelique_Roche 1 month, 1 week ago
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Angelique_Roche
    Angelique_Roche
    Participant
    @Angelique_Roche

I am fairly certain I have asked something like this before but…. I have never done well with the subject of end times because it terrified me and now I sort of run into it a lot again and what IS Catholic view on all of that?

…especially that frequently mentioned claim that the end times are starting now?

This is a silly question, I am sure… and yet I am having a lot of trouble with it, so please? Thank you, sorry.

Profile photo of David W. Emery
    David W. Emery
    Keymaster
    @David W. Emery

Hello Angelique! Today Christians worldwide, including Catholics, celebrate Holy Saturday. Last night my wife and I attended the Good Friday Service, commemorating the passion, crucifixion and death of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Today, Holy Saturday, we remain in silence until nightfall, as we observe the day Christ passed in the tomb. But after dark, our Lord’s dead body is filled with life — glorious divine life — as he rises from the dead and bursts forth from the tomb. Thus begins our celebration of the glorious Day of Resurrection, also known as Easter Sunday, with the Solemnity of of the Vigil of the Resurrection.

This is indeed an appropriate time to speak of what we believe regarding the Last Things — death, judgment, heaven, hell — and of the End Times, which we believe are already upon us, for they begin with Christ’s resurrection and end with our own resurrection at the time of the dissolution of the universe.

Here is a brief outline of the Catholic understanding of the End Times from EWTN. Note that it contains references to the Catechism. You will need to follow up on these and read them in their entirety to make sense of things.

Here is the link to the article: EWTN Article.

And here is a link to an online text of the Catechism of the Catholic Church: Catechism.

David

Profile photo of gachristian
    gachristian
    Participant
    @gachristian

Thank you, David, for the links.  Back in the mid to late 70s, talk of the rapture and end times was the talk.  I remember Larry Norman’s song “I Wish We’d All Be Ready” and the Hal Lindsey books. I have read the fictional series, “Left Behind.”  The more I read about how the Rapture doctrine came about, the more I have become unconvinced of it.

Angelique_Roche
    Participant
    @Angelique_Roche

thank you so very, very much for the information, David. it is…calming and I REALLY wish I had a Catechism of my own to keep that passage but… *shrugs* Someday!

What about in matthew 24? Some of the chapter REALLY appears to be talking about the fall of Jerusalem but…? My apologies for the shortness, it’s been a few days since I’ve had their devotions here and I am still…. Well, I got to go to Mass yesterday for Easter and I am still…ecstatic? I don’t know…..  It was so very Catholic! That is the best way I can describe it and I KNOW that’s redundant but….I don’t care.

So I got to go to Mass and so I sort of forgot about my troubles with the doctrinal differences here…….

anyway!

Thank you so much though – it helped a LOT.

David W. Emery
    Keymaster
    @David W. Emery

I’m gratified to hear that things are working out so well for you, Angelique. Having a friend who is enough of a friend to take you to Mass on occasion is a biggie.

As to owning a Catechism, for the time being you can get by with one of the many online texts. The one I linked to above is, in my opinion, one of the best. It allows you to search by number, which is a huge advantage, and the text is nearly perfect.

Doctrinal differences? You are, at this point, merely investigating, asking questions and learning. Any “differences” that may arise will come later, when you are ready to “get serious” about your direction in life. Meanwhile, we’re just happy to be of help.

David

David W. Emery
    Keymaster
    @David W. Emery

Now as to Matthew 24: Following is a quick summary from the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible on the entire discourse of Matthew 24 and 25.

Mt 24:1 – 25:46 The Olivet Discourse is the final sermon of Jesus featured in Matthew. Its purpose is to reveal events of the near and distant future. (1) Prophetically: Jesus foretells the Roman conquest of Jerusalem and the Temple that occurred in A.D. 70. His predictions about this catastrophe and the tribulations leading up to it are expressed in the apocalyptic language of the OT prophets, which is often cryptic and symbolic. The effect is to show that Jerusalem’s doom will be an event of world-shaking consequence in the divine plan of salvation. (2) Typologically: the devastation of the Temple, which stood as an architectural symbol of creation, anticipates the fiery dissolution of heaven and earth. This will occur at the end of time when Jesus comes again in glory to judge the living and the dead (2 Pet 3:10-13; Rev 20:11-15; CCC 585-86).

Questions?

David

Angelique_Roche
    Participant
    @Angelique_Roche

I’m gratified to hear that things are working out so well for you, Angelique. Having a friend who is enough of a friend to take you to Mass on occasion is a biggie.

She is a blessing, definitely – she has been such a help to me.

As to owning a Catechism, for the time being you can get by with one of the many online texts. The one I linked to above is, in my opinion, one of the best. It allows you to search by number, which is a huge advantage, and the text is nearly perfect.

Well, I could get by with the online ones until I mostly lost internet. Now, I don’t have time to do any research on my own – I am getting by on the research I did before. Having a Catchechism in my physical possession would be…very welcome. *shrugs* Someday. Now, I will use this and try to remember what I’ve learnt.

Doctrinal differences? You are, at this point, merely investigating, asking questions and learning. Any “differences” that may arise will come later, when you are ready to “get serious” about your direction in life. Meanwhile, we’re just happy to be of help.

…That would be nice. *sighs* On one hand, it helps that I don’t necessarily have to PRACTICE everything but… One the other hand I am Catholic – I am not Protestant. I can not speak and so avoid the differences – and I generally do do that – but I know they are there and…. I struggle with doubts often again, but I KNOW this is true…

If that makes sense?

Angelique_Roche
    Participant
    @Angelique_Roche

No….no more questions on that, I think. it’s enough just to know that the Church does not believe in or subscribe to the Rapture/Tribulation…stuff. (I can’t summarise it, sorry…) My only other question would be ‘what makes the Church right in this’ but THAT is a stupid question and I know it so… *smiles* I won’t ask that one since i know the answer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active