test

CHNetwork Online Community Forums The Sacraments The Real Presence vs. Ascension?

4 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Profile photo of gachristian gachristian 3 months ago
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Angelique_Roche
    Angelique_Roche
    Participant
    @Angelique_Roche

This is sort of a… Well, I am not sure if it makes sense but I was wondering – at least so I may answer her – and while it will make no difference to me, I thought I would ask.

A friend drove me to Mass because I don’t have a car and I didn’t REALLY want to go all alone. So she was nice and drove me and while she is very very much not Catholic, she at least has never minded me being Catholic. But yesterday we went to Mass and we were talking about the Eucharist afterward, and she was saying how that the Real Presence could not be possible because Jesus ascended into heaven and will not come back to earth until the end of the world.

That…makes sense but I am sure there is a reason besides ‘Jesus said so and the Church says so’. *smiles* thank you for any time you spare on this!

Profile photo of David W. Emery
    David W. Emery
    Keymaster
    @David W. Emery

…she was saying how that the Real Presence could not be possible because Jesus ascended into heaven and will not come back to earth until the end of the world.

Jesus, who is God incarnate, has all the same attributes as God the Father. Now God the Father is omnipresent — he can act anywhere he pleases, and by this act he is present there as well. He is not bound by human notions of time, space and materiality, because he lives outside of these created entities, even if we humans are bound by them.

Therefore, if God the Son — Jesus — has everything God the Father has, he too lives outside of time, space and materiality and is also omnipresent. What this means is that he has no difficulty being in heaven and on earth or anywhere else in the universe he desires, all at the same time. He turned water into wine at the wedding feast in Cana; he raised the dead to life on several occasions. Who, then, dare say that he cannot change bread and wine into his body and blood?

In fact, Jesus established the Eucharist precisely to demonstrate this point: At the Last Supper, he held himself in his own hands. That matzoh (unleavened bread) and Passover wine, which he held in his hands, he transformed by his divine power into his glorified flesh and blood. This is how he was able to say, “This is my body… this is my blood.” He did not say, “This is a symbol of my body,” but affirmed that it was exactly what he called it: truly his own body. And who are we to deny this, which is reported by every Bible, both Protestant and Catholic?

David

Profile photo of Angelique_Roche
    Angelique_Roche
    Participant
    @Angelique_Roche

Thank you very much! That’s what I thought…. Thank you so much!

Profile photo of Jennie1964
    Jennie1964
    Keymaster
    @Jennie1964

I always remember that verse at the end of Matthew as well where Jesus says “…and remember, I am with you always even to the end of the age.”  Those were his words. The word with is the Greek meta which is a word of proximity and accompaniment.. He is with us and “amid” his people.  And if as your friend says that he is in heaven and cannot be here, then what did he mean by that? As Protestants we had a habit of NOT taking Jesus literally because if we did, we would have to end up being Catholic.

Profile photo of gachristian
    gachristian
    Participant
    @gachristian

Jennie, what a powerful reminder! He is with and amid His people! And yes,David nailed it. If we believe Jesus changed water to wine, raised the dead to life, healed the blind and infirmed, who are we to saynthat when He said this is my body and this is my blood, He didn’t mean what he said.

Angelique, I am grateful that you have a friend who is a friend enough to take you to Mass and to ask questions that help you dig deeper and ultimately deepen you faith.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active