test

CHNetwork Online Community Forums Prayer, Devotions, Spiritual Life Your Experience with Eucharistic Adoration

7 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Profile photo of David W. Emery David W. Emery 4 months, 1 week ago
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gachristian
    gachristian
    Participant
    @gachristian

I hope I plugged this post in the right category. I have been trying to learn about Eucharistic Adoration. You can probably say that God is encouraging me to pursue it.  I have talked with a friend at church who basically keeps up the the scheduling of it ( making sure there is someone every hour. I have looked a little online and I got a book “Manual for Eucharistic Adoration” put together by the Saint Joseph Adoration Monastery.

I am moved to go and intend to within the first 2 weeks of Lent.  I am limited by work hours and time constraint commitments, but I intend to go.

This is a new concept to me.  I didn’t know anything about it until we came back to the Church a couple of years ago. Is this something that is being encouraged more. I never heard of it growing up in the Church or from friends who were Catholic.  And then there is the “Protestant brainwashing” in me that says you don’t have to go to a special place to be with Jesus.

So what I am asking is if any of you who be willing to share your experiences or insight about this.

Thank you!

Profile photo of David W. Emery
    David W. Emery
    Keymaster
    @David W. Emery

Is this something that is being encouraged more. I never heard of it growing up in the Church or from friends who were Catholic.

I suggest that you acquire a book by Fr. Benedict Groeschel and James Monti called In the Presence of Our Lord: The History, Theology and Psychology of Eucharistic Devotion. The authors show that Eucharistic devotion goes all the way back to the early centuries of the Church. And they provide a solid spiritual basis for the devotion.

I recall the beautiful service of Eucharistic Benediction that I delighted to attend as a new Catholic (1960s). It fell out of favor in the 70s and 80s but is making a comeback over the past decade. I have also participated in regular Eucharistic Adoration since it was established locally in 2002. My experience in praying before the Monstrance has kept me true to my calling, in every sense of the word.

And then there is the “Protestant brainwashing” in me that says you don’t have to go to a special place to be with Jesus.

Catholics, however, believe that Jesus is present in a special way in the Eucharistic elements. Yes, He is present everywhere; I just finished posting a reply to someone asking whether Jesus is really omnipresent, and I answered in the affirmative. That said, the Eucharist is something beyond this omnipresence. He is present in His Incarnate Self in the Sacrament of the Altar, just as truly as He was present to the disciples when He walked the earth and preached to the multitudes.

David

gachristian
    Participant
    @gachristian

Catholics, however, believe that Jesus is present in a special way in the Eucharistic elements.

True that.  I remember many of the Communion services we went to in Protestant churches were more like a quick memorial service.  Not at all the same. Yes, I had just caught up on the posts you were referring to.  Interesting.

I have put that book you suggested on my list.  I am working on two right now. I don’t want to overwhelm myself!  😉  Thank you!

Profile photo of Dedric T
    dedrict
    Participant
    @DedricT

My 11 yr old daughter and I attend most every week for the Eucharistic Benediction service (and rosary prior to that).  It is the only time we can go, but it is a great time of humbling ourselves before our Lord.  For me, that is the key – it is a time and place to pray in silence before Him reverently, and be humbled by the knowledge that He is there.

Our Protestant training that Jesus is always with us is accurate, as David said, but it lacks that one element – the humility that we feel in the presence of an authority figure (Christ in this case of course).  It is easy to become complacent in the former scenario, but less so when we are “face to face” with our Lord weekly.  Adoration builds on what we experience in the Mass and reinforces our encounter with and commitment to Christ.

gachristian
    Participant
    @gachristian

Thank you for sharing that, Dedric!  I spoke with the person who coordinates the Eucharistic Adoration at our church.  She basically tries to make sure all the hours are covered and lets people know if there is on empty hour.  She said some people bring their families there.

gachristian
    Participant
    @gachristian

OK I was doing morning prayers and devotionals and reading today’s reading in the Magnificat Lenten Companion. Here is what is says. Do you think God is giving me a bit of encouragement. 😉

From The Magnificat Lenten Companion

Asking at Adoration I had not heard from the young woman in over two years, but she unexpectedly texted me one morning and asked if we could talk. She told me she was going through a tough time and felt like she was in a “dark place.”She had been going to her mother’s evangelical church, but was not finding any peace there. Could I recommend somewhere else? Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. I told her that I was going up to my parish’s Adoration chapel that evening and invited her to come along. Although I knew she had never encountered Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament before, I was certain she would be moved by that experience of wonder. We sat in complete silence for over two hours. At one point, I asked if she was ready to leave, and she just shook her head no. It was just the two of us in the chapel, and she could have initiated some quiet conversation with me about her troubles. But my young friend clearly sensed the far more intimate presence of Someone else there who knew her without words. When she was finally ready to leave, she whispered: “I will definitely come back here.”And so she has.

Reflection based on Matthew 7: 7-12
    MARY BETH NEWKUMET

Loving Father, help me to grow in wonder at the real presence of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. Through the work of your Spirit of Love, help me to ask him, seek him, and knock at the door of his Heart daily with the confidence of a child.

Today’s suggested penance: Pray with special insistence for the most pressing petitions in you life.

Profile photo of ElizabethK
    elizabethk
    Participant
    @ElizabethK

I adore Eucharistic Adoration. It is probably the single most compelling spiritual connection I have to Catholicism. The first time I experienced it was a bit like sitting near a nuclear reactor – His presence was palpable and I left almost convinced I was glowing! The RCIA course I went on had Adoration before Mass before the meeting and I made a special effort to get there even though it was very inconvenient. I sat with Jesus quietly and opened my heart to him. At times my mind wandered, but I was always able to bring back my concentration by looking at Him in the monstrance and quietly whispering “He’s really here”. Sometimes I would feel Him say something to my heart, things that were sometimes challenging, sometimes comforting. Mostly I just sat in His presence and felt loved. Adoration is a beautiful thing.

Profile photo of David W. Emery
    David W. Emery
    Keymaster
    @David W. Emery

My experience has been similar to yours, Elizabeth. Sometimes I imagine rays of grace emanating from that host in the monstrance.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active